This morning we were on our way to gymnastics, our usual Saturday morning routine. My husband looked in the rear view mirror only to see Kaiya digging furiously into her left nostril. He said, “Get your fingers outta your nose” and then looked back to the road. She’s been sick and had a runny nose all week. I handed her a tissue and said “Here, use this. Not your finger”.
She took the tissue and wiped her nose. I checked back a minute later and saw her jamming her finger up there again. I said,”Stop picking. That’s gross!“.
Then she whimpered,”I’m trying to get the raisin out”. Oh, did I mention she was eating a box of raisins?
I said,”What raisin? You did not just stick a raisin up your nose, did you?”.
She nodded her head up and down. Then half crying said,”Mumma, it won’t come out”.
I looked at my husband and said,”You gotta be shitting me. Not again!”. We just had an incident with a popcorn kernel a few months ago. And if I remember correctly, it was also the left nostril.
I hopped into the back seat, grabbed a tissue, and blocked her right nostril. “Blow!”, I yelled. She started to cry,”Mumma, it’s stuck!”
“Stop crying and blow harder”, I said. One big blow and out came the biggest snot-covered raisin I’d ever seen.
“There it is”, I said and showed my daughter the booger-covered raisin on the tissue. “Let me see”, she said “I want to hold it”.
I handed her the tissue with the raisin and said “Don’t you dare eat it!”. She’s been known to eat a booger or two in her time, so I would not put it past her to eat the raisin.
All I can say is, thank god it came out and we didn’t need to take a trip to the ER.
Have your kids ever stuck anything up their nose?